These lettuce wraps are so delicious and despite using a Chinese five spice blend in them, they have a Lebanese, middle eastern type flair. They are unique in flavor and have great texture; especially with some lightly sauteed crisp-sweet apples, crunchy iceberg lettuce and fresh green onions on top.This is a lower carbohydrate meal, so it’s perfect if you have over done it already throughout your day. If not, maybe add some brown rice, quinoa or another complex carbohydrate to make them more filling and add additional fiber.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 2 lb. extra lean ground beef. I use a hormone free, no antibiotic beef that I buy in bulk (Less than $3 a lb.)
- 2 or 3 tbsp Chinese Five Spice (blend of anise, cinnamon, clove, ginger, star anise)
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 large diced sweet onion
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 1 whole iceberg lettuce head
- 2 large green apples, diced
- 1 bundle of chopped fresh green onion
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (or olive oil)
1. Begin by adding diced sweet onion to 2 tbsp of toasted sesame oil on high heat.
2. When onions start to brown, add soy sauce and continuously stir until blended. Turn down to medium heat once cooked through, soft and brown.
4. Add all of your dried spices and let simmer.
5. In a separate saute pan, add diced apples with a pinch of extra virgin olive oil until warmed through, but still crunchy.
6. Cut lettuce head in half, wash and peel apart layers to use as a wrap.
7. Add cooked spiced beef, sauteed apples and fresh chopped green onions to the lettuce wraps.
8. Serve and enjoy! They are so good, you will feel like a rock star making them for your friends and family. That is why I call them Rock Star Lettuce Wraps.Pin It