My daughter is always asking me to make her homemade BBQ meatballs. The lean ground beef I use is super lean and is hormone and antibiotic free, so I feel good about feeding it to my family and it’s a great source of Iron and Protein for small, developing bodies. I buy it in bulk at our wholesale store for about $2.99 a lb or less. They are great paired up with some brown rice or couscous and a crispy green salad. This recipe would also work great with ground turkey, pork or chicken. Here is the recipe for the BBQ Meatballs. Makes about 20 meatballs.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 chopped sweet onion (shaved onion if you don’t like chunked)
- 1 tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground mustard powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. plain bread crumbs or 1 piece or bread blended
- 1 1/2 c. of BBQ sauce
- Mix all ingredients together except for 1 c. of the BBQ sauce. (You will be adding 1/2 c. of BBQ sauce into the meatballs and 1 cup over the top before baking.)
- Roll meatballs into small golf ball sized rounds and place gently in a baking dish.
- Cover meatballs with the remaining 1 c. of BBQ sauce and bake at 350 for 30 minutes until they are brown and firm.