Next time you’re at the grocery store, pick up a few bags of dried beans, peas or any type of legume. Keep them in your dry food storage as a back up for an inexpensive, quick-to-make soup or high fiber meal.
Here is a delicious and easy recipe to incorporate the highly nutritious, high fiber legume..the lentil.
Not familiar with the health benefits of lentils? Here are just a few to inspire you:
- Low in calories
- High in protein
- High in fiber
- Stabilize blood sugar
- High in Iron and Folate
- Assist with weight management given high fiber, slower digestion and better satiety
- one tablespoon olive oil or preferred oil
- one onion, diced
- one cup of roasted red peppers, diced
- one cup of carrots, diced
- one whole garlic bulb, peeled and diced
- 1 16 oz bag of dried lentils
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 2 tsp salt (or preference)
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- In a medium to large pot, drizzle oil over medium heat and add onions, roasted red peppers, carrots and garlic. Saute until soft.
- Add dried lentils and stir.
- Add salt, pepper, turmeric and smoked paprika.
- Fill pot with water and let boil until lentils are soft and easy to chew.
- Simmer and cover.